Tuesday, December 22, 2015

SOS #232: My Precious

It's Tuesday, and time for a new challenge at Shopping Our Stash. This will be a two-week challenge to allow all of us to spend time with our families.

This week's theme is a repeat from a few years ago: My Precious. We'd like you to use something you have hoarded that you never, ever, planned to actually use. Piece of pretty paper? Special embellishment? A piece of special ribbon or lace? Suck it up and use it!

I learned something about myself while playing this challenge: I am not a hoarder, at least not any more. I actually don't have anything that I haven't cut into because I love it so much. I have things I haven't used because I forgot I had them, but nothing that would make me cry to use.

That said, here's my card, then I'll explain:


Back in my craft show days, people would comment that they don't often see people selling cards. I'd tell them quite honestly that's because there's no money in it. Let's say your booth fee is $80 (I always tried to stay under $100). For you to make back your booth fee -- the cost of just showing up -- you'd need to sell 20 $4 cards. And that doesn't cover the cost of materials to make and package those 20 cards.

I was always pondering a higher-end product I could sell to make my life easier. I hit on the idea of making wine journals, where people keep track of wines they've had and take notes on flavor, etc. Here's my original post back from 2008.

Anyway, for the wine journals, I added pages cut from some pretty 12x12 Laura Ashley vellum. I liked my mock-up, so I ordered more of the 12x12 sheets of vellum. Then I never made more wine journals, so I had this cache of pretty vellum. It made the cut when I purged my 12x12 papers, so I guess I like it.

ANYway, for this challenge I used a piece of the printed vellum. It's quite busy, so I just added a sentiment, and a wine glass cut from card-stock-weight vellum. I colored the back of the wine glass and stuck it to the front with a piece of Kool Tak. I used my tape runner to apply some stick behind the sentiment strip, wine glass, and a few of the darker spots of the vellum to stick it to the front of my card base.

Pretty simple to make once I got a clue.

So, are you hoarding something special, waiting for just the right moment to use it? I know you bought two of them; don't we all? One to keep and one to use, right? So use it, then stop over at Shopping Our Stash to link up.

Thanks for stopping by!

Some of the stuff I used: a piece of Laura Ashley printed vellum, Copic V09, card-stock-weight vellum, and the following:



6 comments:

  1. I love this! That Laura Ashley vellum is gorgeous! This is simply a perfect design!
    Hugz,
    Chana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this vellum is fabulous, I love it. Awesome job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That vellum is gorgeous!!! I love how you paired it with a snarky sentiment and a glass of wine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. He he he I love that sentiment!! Perfect for a wine based project :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely card! That's some fancy schmancy vellum. I agree about the hoarder no more bit. I have lots of stuff I haven't gotten to yet but frankly that whole "too good to use" thing is long gone. Now then "too good for this card" still happens though. LOL! I hope I can play along. More playing!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)