Tuesday, February 18, 2014

SOS #139: Embellish Me

It's Tuesday, and time for a new Shopping Our Stash challenge. For this week's theme: Embellish Me, we ask you to make your own embellishment. Think of this as a perfect opportunity to use your stash to make something you need but might not have on hand. In my case, I made a button.

Here's my card, then I'll explain:


First, I'd like to mention that I've used a die and stamp set I've had for many years, and have maybe used once. Yes, I'm very proud.

My embellishment here is the pink (I KNOW) heart button. This all started innocently enough with me cutting about 17 of the apple and leaf dies. I might have a problem stamping straight. Also, I kept changing my mind about the color of the apple. Bonus fact: Did you know that if you don't get all the red off of a stamp, then try to stamp in green, it makes a really gross color?

When I finally got the colors and layers I wanted, I realized there was no heart die in the set, and I was NOT going to cut them out myself. I figured I had to have a tiny heart die in my collection that would fit in the center of the apple, and I did! In fact, it already had holes punched to make it into a button. :)

I die-cut about five of them, layered them, and stamped the top one with the heart from the stamp set using Hero Arts Bubble Gum ink. Then I threaded some embroidery thread through the holes and covered the top of the heart with Glossy Accents. Once it was dry, I stuck it onto the card and tied the bow.

Here it is in all its out-of-focus detail:


What decade was the apple green + pink clothing combination in vogue? I might have nailed it here.

Oh, and the card is only 5"x3.75", since the apple is small and I'm allergic to white space.

Wanna play? I know you do. :) Go into your stash and make an embellishment. Have some fun and just play with different things. If you are stuck for ideas, check out the SOS post to see what the other DT gals have made. Then use your embellishment on a project and go back to the SOS post to link up.

Thanks for stopping by!

Products used: white embroidery thread and the following:



8 comments:

  1. wow that apple embellishment is awesome. great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sooooooooooooooooooo fab... and again with the glossy accents... HAVE to get mine out and use b/c you always, always make that last little touch be the one that COUNTS!!!! <3

    ps: kelly green and bright pink? late 70's/early 80's preppy period, inspired by mid 50's... kinda... but then pink ALWAYS looks fab, to SOME ppl, lol!!! :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect stamping skillz? Bah! Who wants that? How boring! LOL! This is such an awesome CAS card! Love the apple/heart embellie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! And that bonus fact is so spot on :) Applies to other not-quite-cleaned mixes too. lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You mean apple green and pink aren't all the rage??? Will have to rethink my fashion choices!! That little heart button is absolute perfection!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Does your white space allergy give you hives? I used to have that same allergy, but constant exposure has lessened my reaction. The button embellishment is wonderful and with it already having holes, even better than having to put them in yourself. The apple is sweet too, perfectly colored. And kudos to you for keeping at it long after I would have thrown in the towel.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your card jumped out at me over at Shopping our Stash. I hae always loved this stamp set and you used it perfectly on your cas card!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the pink and green combination, but then I like pink. I think you did a great job with it, and the little faux heart button is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)