Sunday, September 1, 2013

The Power of a Thank You Note

I have a friend who(m) I met through my card biz. She is crafty, but hadn't tried making cards yet. Knowing her love of a good bargain, I cautioned her on the potential money pit, but when she bought a box of goodies at a yard sale, I gleefully went over to show her how to use her new stuff. She was in love.

Fast forward a few years, and I just got this email from her (details slightly modified for that whole anonymity thing):

So, I have gotten into the habit of sending a thank you note when someone does an interview for me, or answers a hard question that I can't answer using on-line or library resources, refers me or hires me for a small job. The cards usually have a goofy phone booth on the front with a sappy quote about expert advice over the phone, or a typewriter and a quote about the rare person who appreciates a good writer. And just a few words about what they did and that I'm thankful.

One company was so tickled, they referred me for a "temporary" writing job with another company. I did the four month contract with that company, sent a thank you note, and they extended my contract. Another company had referred me and I sent a thank you note. The guy at the referring company sent a thank you for the thank you. That was six months ago, and this weekend, they offered me a huge project. It's freaking unbelievable.

Yes, FREAKIN' UNBELIEVABLE! I have personally been trying to resurrect the custom of sending cards, just because, and see? IT IS A GOOD IDEA!

I just had to share her story. Isn't it great?!?!

Thanks for stopping by!

5 comments:

  1. That is so awesome. And inspiring to SEND MORE CARDS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great story! You're a wonderful friend:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you.

    This was a very nice reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabuolous story Leslie. Thanks for sharing it and a reminder of how even in this digital age a hand-written note... A semingl small gesture...can have such a big impact!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's wonderful!
    My mom is a Thank You person, and I'm hard pressed to keep her in cards....maybe I need to make myself some!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)