Sunday, June 16, 2013

Hexagon Central

I decided to break into some of my not-yet-used items, and I chose to follow two challenges. I find if I get hints for colors and use a sketch, the rest of it usually starts to brew fairly quickly. For the colors I went with the current last week's Paper Players challenge:


(So what if it was last week's challenge, they are still a fun color combination, so there. :P)

I used, um ... last week's sketch from Retro Sketches:


I appear to be a full week behind.

Anyway, I opened and used my Full Card Hexagon die from Simon Says Stamp, and I chose papers from the Kaisercraft Save The Date 6.5x6.5 paper pack. My original intent was to use part of the full-page hexagon for the rectangle in the sketch, but I got distracted and made this instead:



I wanted to leave some of the white there, so I laid the colored papers over the spots where I wanted them until I was happy with the arrangement. Then I poked out those hexagons, turned the whole thing over and applied about 5 pounds of tape to it so everything stayed attached, then I flipped it over and stuck it to a white card base. Then I glued the colored papers into their assigned spots.

I left a row of white across the center on purpose so I could put the sentiment there. The sentiment and die are from the SSS Tilted Banners coordinating sentiments and dies.

Then I went back to my original plan for the sketch and made this:



All I had to cut was a partial piece of the hexagon background since I was going to cut it anyway, and I used some of the patterned hexagons from the first card to fill in the spaces. I still opted to break it up with white; it was too dark otherwise.

I almost left the center red hexagon out and had the background paper showing through, but I didn't like it so I put the dotted piece in there. I like that it's the same color, but a different pattern.

In both of these cards you can see I have no respect for the direction of the patterns in the paper. In fact, I put them in differently on purpose, partly because I could, and partly because I think it looks better that way.

So, just because the challenges are closed to submission doesn't mean they still can't be used. Lucky thing, too, based on how I work. *ahem*

Thanks for stopping by!



5 comments:

  1. Both cards are terrific! Perfect balance of color and white space. Looks like I'm going to have to buy that hexagon die after all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love hexagons. Now I know I really "need" this die after seeing your impressive cards. You really had your mojo rocking this week end!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this paper pad, and I keep taking it out & then putting it back. THIS is how those papers need to be used - lots, in little smidges! Love that banner die (it hopped out of my cart last time, bad die!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful! I love the arrangement of the patterned papers and I never thought of cutting a piece out of the hexagon die like that - brilliant! But, now I need those banner dies....sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are gorgeous! I have that paper pad, but I have had difficulty working with it...as ever, you have inspired me :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)