Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Kick Start Day 1 Homework



Yes, my friends, I'm taking another online card class. This time it's called Kick Start, and we're getting tons of ideas about how other stampers organize their ideas and translate them to a card. So far I've managed to create work for myself, but it's all good! In the end, I should be better organized and hopefully have some go-to ideas for when I'm in a creative slump.

That said, I was inspired by one of Jennifer's cards in Monday's class to make a faux chipboard shape by just stacking up layers of card stock that you've die-cut. I've done this before, but apparently I forgot I knew it. That reminds me of a class I was teaching, where I asked The Ladies if they'd be insulted if I presented a technique they already knew. One of them replied, "Oh, you go right ahead. I'll bet I forgot I knew it and it will all seem new again." I love that. So, yeah, that's what happened here: it was new again!

Here's my card, then I'll explain:

 Yes, I know the back-drop is poppy and the letters are pink and they clash, but the white-on-white was blinding me, and the card stock was handy.  I need you to appreciate the letters. Here they are, up close and personal:

I cut several layers of vanilla, and a few layers of textured Melon Mambo. I even glued them together mostly straight, and used a ruler to align them before I glued them down.  I KNOW! And I'm not even drunk.

There are two really sad things to note here. (1) I didn't pick something easy like a heart to cut multiples. Nope, I chose tiny letters. (2) I think I own Thickers in this color.

ANYway, I liked the look, and I even used two words from my Paper Smooches set that I normally would not have used ("You are" and "SO" - okay, that's three words, but two stamps. Work with me here ...), and I used one of the larger hearts in my Nestabilities sets I normally would not have used, so there's that. AND, I used a few inches of Washi tape.

In other news, in case I forgot to mention it here (sorry if I have), I'm hostessing a challenge for this weekend's Virtual Stamp Night (VSN) over on Splitcoast, and I'm up first -- 5:00 pm Friday. No pressure. BE THERE OR BE SQUARE! Come play!

Also, I just signed on as a hostess for one day of the Hope You Can Cling To (HYCCT) month-long challenge extravaganza, also at SCS. I'm on the 28th, but plan to play along all month.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a few cards to make. :)

Thanks for stopping by!

Recipe
Stamps: Chit Chat (Paper Smooches)
Paper: Bazzill Avalanche, SU Melon Mambo, vanilla remnant
Ink: Memento black
Other: Nestabilities Classic Hearts, Corner Chomper, Washi tape, Memory Box Parker Lower Alphabet

7 comments:

  1. This is the only card of yours I have ever liked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute is this! Love the pop of pink!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous-you're a tool. Dont' follow someone if they're not your style.

    Leslie--this is such an awesome card! So different for you but it's just FABULOUS> the pink and poppy work well to me. I really love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leslie, I like it - very pretty and girly :-)
    And the letters - what a great idea! I wouldn't attempt it though, too time consuming for ME :-)
    Anonymous - really? Can you do better? Oh, wait, we'll never know, you didn't bother to leave your name

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pink again?? Leslie...what has come over you? I like the card and I like the idea of layering them to add dimension, that is a good thing to remember. Isn't it funny how something we used to do all of the time can feel like a brand new technique again? I like it when that happens.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had all these wonderful things to say then the dipshit "anonymous" had to be a complete jackass and got me all worked up!!

    Happy thoughts...happy thoughts...happy thoughts...

    I about shot water out my nose with "and I'm not even drunk" then "I think I have thickers". Love the washi behind the heart. I forgot about this technique too & I even practiced it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oof! i forgot *I* knew that one, too! and it's such a brilliant technique for CUSTOM "heavy duty" embellies!!! plus, your card soooooooooo totally ♥ROCKS♥!!! i should take more classes... you're totally making me jealous... :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)