Saturday, June 9, 2012

New Home Card

When I drive to my massage therapist's office, I pass through the historic part of the town with lots of old Victorian-style homes. One of them is two-toned yellow with grey shutters, and I love it. I've wanted to make a card based on it for a while now, and I finally got to it today.

Here's my card, then I'll explain:

I had to open my Poppy Stamps shutter and flower box dies to use them. Every piece of card stock you see here was from the scrap bin, and yes, I am very proud.

The most difficult part of this card was attaching those #($^#$&^ flowers. This is my 3rd attempt. I ended up taking them apart from the tiny bunches they came in (in which they came). I then put down a piece of strong double-sided tape -- Sookwang or red-line stuff will work -- and stuck each flower wire to the tape. This let me line them up nicely, both across the span of window and up/down staggered to fill in the spaces. I then topped the stems with another piece of the strong double-sided tape. No escapees here!

I stuck the window box over the stems and supported it on dimensional adhesive so it was raised up enough to fit over the flowers.

The "sky" is a piece of marble paper. I honestly don't know what else to do short of making an entire scene for "outside" the window, and that sounded like work. This card was all about the colors, not the window scene. Plus, I'm very lazy today.

Then ... the sentiment. I found I was out of room. Ack! I just stamped the "congratulations" on a skinny strip of white and put it over the flower box. I declare this to be a "welcome to your new home" card. :)

Thanks for stopping by!

Recipe
Stamps: A*Muse*Studio Essential Sentiments
Paper: SU Whisper White, Basic Gray, So Saffron (I think), misc marble paper
Ink: Memento black
Other: Poppy Stamps dies -- Small Madison Window, Small Madison Window Shutter, Small Flower Box; misc flowers; woodgrain texture plate (I can't remember whose, sorry)

6 comments:

  1. Fantastic!! Love the "sky" and the shutter too! Those little flower are just the cutest! Precious - even if they were a pain to get in there!
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh i LOVE it! damn. was trying to avoid those window/door dies from MB/poppy stamps. this is so cute though, i don't know... thanks a lot :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. an awesome idea! the window is so fabulous...gorgeous inspiration!

    hugs and kisses from germany,
    silvi xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty! I love the pop of color from the flowers and the woodgrain background is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love this card, the color combination, the shutters, the flowers in their little box. But, wouldn't the shutters and flower box be on the outside of the house, so we should see inside the house through the window? just sayin'...

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh how i ♥LOVE♥ this! and those flowers totally MAKE IT and thus were worth the trouble... 3d items are hard... i usually bust out the hot glue for thus like, but i think you did brilliantly with the red line tape!

    for the record, i also love some cards without sentiments on the front... some of mine don't even get them INSIDE in case i just want to write a note, but it's different with "sale" cards i realize! :)

    ps: i loveLOVElove the clouds, but really you could use ANY patterned paaper b/c those are the CURTAINS in the house and they just happened to be drawn accross the window at the time the card was made! (perhaps the residents of the house had a weird 6th sense they were being watched & replicated by a mad cardmaker? they may be calling the authorities even now to report you, lol!!! :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)