Saturday, November 5, 2011

Hambo Hoedown - Techniques

This week's Hambo Hoedown challenge was to use this image (free if you played last week AND remembered to email them a picture of your card):

with any technique on the Splitcoast techniques pages to make our cards. I decided to use Paper Piecing since it's the one thing I can't really mess up too badly, plus it fits my OMG IT'S THE WEEKEND AND I HAVE TO CATCH UP ON ALL THESE CHALLENGES life style.

I also decided to use this week's Mojo Monday sketch:

I printed the snails in two sizes on white and also on a piece of Basic Grey olivia 12x12 remnant:

I also used olivia remnants for the rest of the patterned papers. Hey, it's still out ... what can I say?

I decided to do this two different ways: one with a paper-pieced snail and one with paper-pieced leaves. Here's the first one with the smaller image:

I paper pieced the snail and colored the leaves and rake with Copics. The paper under the custom sentiment (I used one of my old SU fonts) is the same one I used for the snail.

I was going to go for bonus points by using TWO techniques - I was going to sponge clouds in the sky, but when I found this piece of paper in the olivia pack, my laziness crept in and I opted to use it instead.

Here's the second card:

I paper pieced the leaves on this one, which had me yelling WHAT WAS I THINKING?! GAH! So small and detailed! But I really like how it turned out.

For the snail on this one, I used 3 of the green-grey markers from my relatively new-to-me Touch Twin Blue- & Green-Grey marker set. Again, the leaves are the same paper as the oval under the sentiment. This one stretches the sketch a little because the snail and sentiment are a bit larger, but the spirit of the sketch is still there! :)

Okay, I'm off to link these to their challenges, then attempt to stamp some more. Thanks for stopping by!

4 comments:

  1. I need me a snail that rakes... Ca-ute! *smile*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paper piecing is one of my favorite techniques and I love your idea to paper piece that little snail! Your card is very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love how you paper pieced the snail. Great idea and a most adorable card. Thanks for joining us at the Hoedown.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The layout of your card is really great, and paper piecing the leaves turned out beautifully, although I bet it did require a lot of work! Thanks for playing with us at the Hoedown this week :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)