Tuesday, October 11, 2011

WOTT 10/11/2011 - Playing With Side Notes

Today's post is for WOTT, but it really should be called "An Exercise in Creative Avoidance", since I've played as much as I've worked on my list of things to do. I actually did accomplish something to share, which I'll do after the "reveal".

This is what my standing desk looked like this afternoon:

Not bad, not bad. Lots of workspace. You see, because the desk top is angled down to be easier on my back, things also slide off of it, so it's impossible to stack things. It's also smaller than my other table, so I'm forced to put things away when I'm done. Life is tough all over, isn't it?

You can see I'm playing with some SU Beau Chateau papers and some Side Notes which I'll talk more about in a sec.

Now before you get too impressed with that desk, let's look at the other desk - the one I turned sideways so the standing desk would fit in the Captain's Quarters:

NOW we're talkin'! Oh, yeah, looks normal to me! HAHA! Talk about a catch-all magnet. Geez. Let me just say that this week I'm on vacation, and I have a few things planned that fall into the realm of "organization". One of them is to disappear this table and replace it with a smaller one. In the process I will be force - FORCED - to deal with the s-crap on its surface.

Let's look at a few things on top, shall we? Front and center we have this:

Magazines (under the stamp sets) and some lace. One of my errands yesterday was to stop at the fabric store and pick up a few yards of lace. LOTS from which to choose, and I bought a measly three yards, one yard each of three different laces. Quite restrained, if you ask me. Then I found the magazine rack, and they had all the mags I can never find anywhere else, so ... what choice did I have? So far they've been moved to this table. That's it.

Okay, back to that stack o'cards on my "clean" desk:

I've seen several Demos use these Side Notes, and I actually had to look them up! They are on page 190 of the big catalog with the scrap book stuff, which is why I breezed right past them! They are made of water-color-weight paper and coordinate perfectly with the Beau Chateau papers, which I have in abundance. My goal Monday was to use up part of a pack of Side Notes (I got two, of course) and some of my stash of Beau Chateau papers. I made 10 cards! Let's look at 'em:

The sentiment on this first one is from the Happiest Birthday Wishes Hostess set (the stamp set boxes on top of those magazines). I stamped it in Soft Suede ink on a piece of a Simply Sent Elegant Engravings card from one of last year's Simply Sent kits. I'd destroyed a few of them, but saved them so I could use the backs of the cards. ;/ The die cut shape is from the Sizzlits Lots of Tags die set.

I used strips of some of the pink paper in the Beau Chateau pack as accents and layers since my Pink Pirouette ribbon and card stock seemed a bit too pink. Also, this paper - and the blue pattern I used on the other cards - is so busy I went with the less-is-more approach and kept them pretty basic.

Next one:

I stamped the sentiment (a single stamp from last year) in Soft Suede. All I did was mat this one with Marina Mist and add some Marina Mist taffeta. Gotta love this matchy-matchy! :) Oh, the doily thingie was cut with an MFT die - the only non-SU element here.

Next:

Another of the Side Notes. I used some remnants of Chantilly lace (and a pretty face / And a pony tail hanging down / A wiggle in the walk and giggle in the talk / Makes the world go round / There ain't nothing in the ... Oh, sorry.)

Same with this next one:

but this is the Victoria lace.

Ditto, only with the brown DSP:

And another one:

So easy to put together several different cards that would make a great set. Will *I* sell them as a set? No. My sets don't sell, but I will sell them separately. But YOU can make them as a set for a gift.

And in case you haven't figured it out yet, by using that stuff I don't have to figure out where to put it away, so technically you could call it organizing/cleaning. Well, you could.

I shall return, maybe even tomorrow, with another tale of my progress in the Captain's Quarters. Will she clear off that table? Will she find homes for all the s-crap there-on? Will she read those magazines? Will she get her Halloween cards photographed in time to post them to her etsy store before Halloween? Come back tomorrow to find out. Oh, and there will probably be a give-away one day this week, as soon as I take photos of the stuff I'm giving away. The purge continues!

Thanks for stopping by!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, what a great bunch of cards! I love the Victorian theme throughout (I'm pretending to know about the era....) Looks like Side Notes make the going easier... Cool. Thanks for contributing to WOTT. It seems to be the best kept secret after 26 weeks of going, but we can always think of it as our exclusive little club.. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oohhh love your stuff...all of it! Now you've set me to singing Chantilly Lace...with some Great Balls of Fire thrown in for good measure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just when I thought I'd just quit making cards I find more and more inspiration! Maybe it's just my over reaction of having a pile here, there and everywhere.....

    I just have to realize that there is no such thing as an organized card making desk!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)