Sunday, August 29, 2010

Market Update

It was a perfectly GORGEOUS day yesterday, and our little farmers' market was hopping!

Before I leave the house every morning, I open the door to check out the weather, and Kitty gets some fresh air at the same time. It was soooo nice out yesterday that I just let her bask for a while:

But then I had to leave her and do my Saturday market thing. Once I got set up, it was photo time! Most of these were taken before a lot of shoppers got there ... that way I don't get in their way.

First up - maters:

(You can sorta see my card rack over there on the left.) By the way, I'm convinced these maters are strategically placed. I mean, what human being can walk past such yummy goodness and not at least stop and drool a little (hopefully not on the maters)?

Next up - something new and different (Farmer Mike likes to keep us a little off-balance):

These are Winter Wax Asian Melons, and they have a unique feature (as melons go, anyway):

Spiky hairs! These things are pointy, too! Ouch!

Next we have Squash:

Acorn, Butternut and Spaghetti.

Eggplant(s):

... more eggplant:

... and some eggplant of the Asian varieties:

Bell peppers:

... more sweet peppers:

... poblanos:

... jalapenos:

... and our very colorful, yet deadly, hot peppers:

Later in the day I took this artsy-fartsy shot, because I loved this one pepper so:

And dear God, we still have okra:

Killing frost. We need a killing frost.

Next up - basil:

ALL of this sold. Every.last.one, and I got to smell it all day long. Mmmmmm.

We had leeks:

... and Farmer Mike had two huge Hibiscus plants:

I don't think I've ever seen one up close and personal like this. Look at these flowers:

He said they only bloom once, for a day, then fall off. But all those other buds are flowers, too, so the plant constantly blooms.

Farmer Margie had some more corn:

... and Farmer Katie had some beans:
... and tons of fruit:

... and cut flowers:

Over in the floral tent, my fave:

.. and then this sunflower:

... and some zinnias:

Here is my arrangement this week:

Oh, and I set up my second card display rack on the table this week:

It REALLY is working out quite well. My cards are much more visible, and from further away! I think it's actually a drawing-in factor! Yay! And don't worry - I did eventually move those flowers away from in front of the display. :)

Next up, to satisfy some people who can't get over my decision to stop taking photos of all the dogs that come through, here is the obligatory dog photo:

He's a Shih Tzu, and belongs to MB and her family. He came to help her break down her tent and stuff. Just look at that sweet face:


He reminds me of my former dogs, which were Lhasa Apsos. I miss my poopers. ;(

Ready for mutant veggies? I arrived to zero mutants waiting for me yesterday, and I had to do this myself. Can you believe those guys didn't take care of it for me? Here we go:






That's it! No more pics.

Today will be a busy day for me. This morning I 'm taking a class given by Jennifer McGuire. I KNOW! She is SO FAMOUS! Then I'll take the long way home so I can photograph the Kettle Corn stand (and buy some to eat, what the heck), and rounding out my day will be the traditional laundry, so I can go to work tomorrow.

Have a good Sunday, and thanks for stopping by!

5 comments:

  1. Aren't those zinnias simply gorgeous? I just love their colors even though they always herald fall.... and seriously I'd never seen "squash" before!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the dog pic - I think I can rest easy now. I love that colorful pepper - like a pretty autumn leaf! The card racks make you look so professional! (But we know better! Just kidding.)Great market report, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really do enjoy your market posts. It makes me wish we had something like that around here. Those flowers are beautiful! I can't wait to hear about your class with Jennifer - I'm so jealous! She is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. bring.back.doggie.parade.

    I miss the doggies! Great pics...as I have said before your pics are the closet I ever get to a fabulous market experience :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. bring.back.doggie.parade. :-)

    I didn't know Farmer Mike calls them Maters too - thought that was just you!

    Your card racks look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)