Tuesday, July 27, 2010

River Rock Thanks

I promised you a card tonight, and I like to keep my promises. This is not the card I'd intended to post, because I fell out of love with that one and had to make another one. Fortunately for me, this one will be a card for my coming-too-soon August (AUGUST!) Stamp Camps.

When River Rock was first introduced as an In Color, I adored it, and I wept when it retired. I hoarded it, too. Then, this year I danced the Dance of Joy when it returned as one of SU's standard neutral colors. I especially love River Rock with black, which you'll see in a sec.

Tonight, when I browsed through my "YOU MUST MAKE THIS" bookmarks in Google Reader for some ideas, I saw this one and thought it would do double-duty. Not only would it be a fun project, but one of The Ladies asked about sanding, and I always try to include a project the next month that addresses such questions.

ENOUGH BLATHERING! Let's look at that card:

Are you feeling the love? I took the original idea but used a smaller piece of paper (here, it's a piece of River Rock DSP from the Neutrals DSP pack) and a different embossing folder (Vintage Wallpaper). After I took the paper out of the embossing folder, I lightly sanded the raised parts with a sanding block. I love that our DSP is white-core so this works nicely.

BTW, this folder does such a deep impression it actually "popped" when I ran it through the Big Shot!

Here's a close-up of the embossing and sanding:

You don't have to be perfect or even consistent, which is the best kind of technique for people like me.

Let's look at a few more details:

(Wow, now we are zoomed in really close!) I broke open a new set - Fabulous Phrases, and mounted just the thanks so I could use it. I'll have to remember to mount the rest of them so The Ladies have options. I punched it out with the small oval punch, then grabbed my Crop-O-Dile. I punched a hole for the eyelet (remember eyelets?) and set it, very quietly, too. I don't miss the hammer and setting tools, and I'm pretty sure my neighbors don't miss them, either. The tag is attached with a piece of Linen Thread.

Done! I really like this card, and I hope The Ladies will like it, too.

Thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)