Thursday, November 5, 2009

Snow Globe Card, Attempt #1

Hello, there! I am still on the planet, though deeply mired, as usual. This time I am trying to get projects ready for this weekend's Stamp Camps, and I am failing miserably. I want to do some Christmas cards, but not ALL Christmas, cuz it's not even Thanksgiving yet, ya know?

I have two projects done - one Fall and one Christmas. Then I heard that one of my Tweeps, Libby Hickson of Libby's Little Addiction and the From Courtney's Closet challenge fame, did a tutorial for SplitCoast! Seriously! It is a Snow Globe card, and I had to go check it out. Here is her blog post with all the details and her card. I think it is stinkin' cute, so I thought I'd try it. If I could do it in under 30 minutes, I'd offer it up to The Ladies for one of this weekend's projects.

Well, as EXCELLENT as her pictorial AND video tutorials are, I seem to be challenged with this one. Here is my in-under-30-minutes first attempt (no embellishments - just the basic card for starters):

Eh, not great, but I did prove I could do this in under 30 minutes. I need to add some ribbon to the base and pretty it up a bit, but I did not want to waste product until I got the card right.

So tonight I tried it again. FAIL! I made a few adjustments to the measurements, but I found that even though the card comes together fairly easily, I am incapable of free-handing the snow. I confess: I cannot draw snow. Just look at this:


The hard part? Cutting them both exactly the same so they match front-to-back on the acetate. Ptttht! If *I* cannot do this, should I expect my customers to pull it off? I think not.

Sigh. So I am back to needing two more projects, and I have Friday after work to pull that off. This is not going well.

To make myself feel better, I tried to make a more seasonal York Pattie treat decoration, and I am pretty happy with this:

That's the acorns from SU's Autumn Splendor set from the Holiday Mini catalog. The DSP is Autumn Meadows, also from the mini. The scallops are Choc Chip.


Here's the back - the same paper, just the flip side. I love two-sided paper for things like these. Oh, oh, oh - I could make this a quick bonus project when they make their Autumn card! Ohboy!

Now I need to go to bed, as I feel like I am getting sick. I CANNOT be sick, as I have Stamp Camps this weekend, followed by craft shows both of the next two weekends. I CANNOT GET SICK! Grrr ...

Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

  1. Sorry my snowglobe is giving you fits. :-( I still think your tree globe is gorgeous! Also love your leaves & acorns. Mmmm... York patties!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the snow globe is gorgeous too! I see no flaws and love it! Magical and beautiful!
    Ooooh, those acorns! One of my fav botanical motifs! I an NUTS about them!!!
    xoxo~Pea

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)