Saturday, July 4, 2009

A Capital 4th Observation

Every year our Nation's Capital has a real bang-up Fourth of July celebration. They spend the first part (while it is still light out) exposing the masses to culture in the form of song from various venues. We just had a Soprano sing one of Irving Berlin's songs that was in the running for our National Anthem. Now, to put that in perspective, I am watching Jerry Lee Lewis play Great Balls of Fire, and most of, if not ALL of, the people on stage with him were not yet born when Jerry Lee hit it big back in the 50's.

Didn't he marry his 14 year old cousin or something? Then these people could be his grandkids or great-grandkids. I'm just sayin'.

And now we move on to the 1812 Overture. Oh, wait. It's dark out on TV, but not in real life. And there's fireworks on TV. WHA?! Are they re-running LAST year's celebration!?!?!? THERE IS NO SANTA CLAUS!!! And man has not really landed on the moon, either. It is all a facade! THIS IS JUST WRONG! I cry foul!!!! FOUL!

That's it! I'm off to write a letter to the producers of A Capital* Fourth.

ETA: Yeah, that was A Capitol Fourth 2008. I am okay now. A Capitol Fourth 2009 is starting now. Never mind.

* The Capitol (with an 'o') is the physical Capitol building in DC. Every other use of the word capital (with an 'a') is spelled with an 'a'. They can call this show A Capitol Fourth (with an 'o') because it is held on the steps of the Capitol. [I've warned you I am full of trivial, sometimes useless, information.]

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)